Our samples are consistently light grey (5/0) with red-brown (2.5YR 6/6) surfaces, but other sherds may be wholly or partly brown. They have a hackly fracture and an irregular/soapy feel. Samples range from hard to soft (R Pollard, pers comm), with those represented in the collection belonging to the harder end of the spectrum. A handmade fabric, the surfaces are wiped and the exterior bases of the vessels knife trimmed. Bead-rim jars and necked bowls are both typical forms, particularly when decorated with stabbed impressions.
Inclusions are ill sorted and characterised by abundant grains of dark grey to black grog, measuring between 0.1–3.0mm but mostly 0.2–0.5mm. It is this scatter of dark grog fragments against a lighter grey matrix that characterise the fabric. Other inclusions are sparse, but white clay pellets (0.5–3.0mm), quartz (0.2–1.0mm), fine silver mica and organics (0.5mm) are all present.
This is a clean, part isotropic, clay containing rare silt-grade quartz and fewer larger grains to c 0.3mm in a sparsely micaceous matrix with fine muscovite. Abundant ill-sorted dark grog, occasionally quartz rich or opaque, and matrix-coloured clay pellets dominate the fabric, to c 1.5mm with most fragments between c 0.2–1.0mm. Elongate organic inclusions, sometimes visible as voids, are also commonly present in both the matrix and grog fragments.
A source in west Kent is indicated by the distribution of the finds (Parsons 1966, 16; Pollard 1987, 210).
Fawkham and Ash Archaeological Group
Bexley Museum; Dartford Borough Museum; English Heritage (Lullingstone villa); Maidstone Museum and Art Gallery
Meates, G W, Greenfield, E, & Birchenough, E, 1951 The Lullingstone Roman villa, Archaeol Cant 63, 1–49
Parsons, J, 1966 Patchgrove pottery: a short history, Kent Archaeol Rev 6, 15–17
Pollard, R J, 1987 The other Roman pottery, in The Roman villa at Lullingstone, Kent (G W Meates), 164–302
Ward-Perkins, J B, 1939 Excavations on Oldbury Hill, Ightham, 1938, Archaeol Cant 51, 137–81
Ward-Perkins, J B, 1944 Excavations on the Iron Age hillfort of Oldbury, near Ightham, Kent, Archaeologia 90, 127–76